There is much to feel positive about in today’s world of business continuity. Here are a handful of things we can all give thanks for when it comes to BCM in 2018.
Those of us who work in the world of business continuity management (BCM)—whether as consultants or on-staff practitioners—have a tendency to focus on the negative things that happen or that could happen.
I wouldn’t say that we are Chicken Littles, but we definitely are mindful that the world can be a hazardous place and that bad things happen to good companies.
I sometimes think of us as the adult in the room. We’re the ones who have to remind everybody that occasionally things go sideways in life, and we really need to be prepared. That’s our job, and it’s a vital one, and I know we all do it to the best of our ability.
But at the same time, that outlook can keep us from giving proper recognition to the good things that happen.
With all that in mind, and in light of the fact that tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day, I thought I would list some of the good things that are going on out there, in terms of the business continuity world. Here’s my list:
- Disaster recovery (DR) technology continues to improve, making it easier to recover our systems and technology.
- The cloud!
- More and more organizations are beginning to realize that business continuity is not a “nice to have” but a “must have.”
- The people in our field seem to get smarter and more dedicated every year.
- The rise of work-at-home technology gives companies a real boost in developing their alternate-worksite capability.
- The rise of third-party vendors that can efficiently take over the performance of nonproprietary services to help us reduce our BC exposure.
We BCM people can sometimes feel like prophets crying in the wilderness. Until something goes wrong, we’re just an unwelcome expense.
And we have a professional prejudice toward looking at what could go wrong rather than what’s going right.
However, we have plenty to be thankful for, too.
Have a good holiday!
For more on this and other hot topics in BCM in 2018, check out these recent posts from BCMMETRICS and MHA Consulting:
[…] The Bright Side of BCM in 2018: 6 Things to Be Thankful For […]